Robert R. Messer
Term Expires: 2/1/17
Robert Messer, a Sulphur Springs native, has been employed by The American National Bank of Texas for more than 30 years. He currently serves as the Bank’s Chief Financial Officer.
A 1979 graduate of Texas A & M, Messer also has an MBA from East Texas State University (now Texas A&M Commerce) and has attended the Southwestern Graduate School of Banking where he was the President of his Class. He is a Certified Public Accountant.
Messer currently serves on the Board and is the Chairman of the Community Bank Council of the Risk Management Association, Chairman of the Advisory Board for Career and Technical Education at Terrell Independent School District, a member of the Advisory Board for Banking, Sam Houston State University, and Chairman of the Advisory Board of the Banking Program, Mays Business School, Texas A&M University.
Robert and his wife of more than 35 years, Mary, live in Terrell. He has two married children and four grandchildren. His hobbies include golf, hunting, fishing and watching college football.
Board Member Spotlight
What’s your favorite mode of transportation, and why?
• I have a red two door jeep wrangler. It makes feel about as young as I can stand when I drive it.
Are there any transportation projects that you’re particularly proud of?
• I am really pleased to see the development of Toll 49 between I20 and US 69. I think that it will be a big boost to all of East Texas.
Is there an upcoming project that you’re especially excited for?
• We really need to complete the vision laid out in the East Texas Hour Glass plan. This will facilitate the movement of people and freight all around both Tyler and Longview.
What do you enjoy most about being a board member?
• I really enjoy working with my fellow Board Members. We are a group of volunteers working together to improve the East Texas region. We need more regional collaboration and the NET RMA is one of the few organizations in our area that focuses on regional transportation.
What is one of your favorite hobbies?
• I love to try to play golf-not very good at it. I also enjoy hunting and fishing.