Term Expires: 2/1/2020
Robbie Shoults is the President of Bear Creek Smokehouse, a family owned and operated business that has resided in the heart of Deep East Texas for 75 years. Bear Creek Smokehouse is known for hickory smoking meats. Their hams and turkeys have become a holiday staple in households nationwide. The company began as a backyard operation by Robbie’s grandparent’s Hick and Nellie. Robbie has helped diversify Bear Creek Smokehouse with his forward thinking. He has more than tripled the quantity of products offered which has aided in the growth and success of the company. In recent years, Bear Creek Smokehouse was awarded Small Family Business of the year by the SBDC where the entire family got on stage to accept the award and they also won the Star Award for bringing an abundance of attention on Marshall, TX where the family and business reside.
Board Member Spotlight
What’s your favorite mode of transportation, and why?
• When time permits I prefer driving because it always gives me the opportunity to discover something new whether it be scenery or a cool spot off the beaten path. I also like being in control of my own travel and not dependent on commercial transportation.
Are there any transportation projects that you’re particularly proud of?
• I’m really proud of the newest segment of Toll 49 as it opened not long after I became a board member.
Is there an upcoming project that you’re especially excited for?
• I’m excited about the continuation of the projects ahead and having a hand in transportation improvements across East Texas. I’m particularly excited about one of the last proposed segments that if completed would actually come through our neck of the woods to tie in to Highway 59 North of Marshall.
What do you enjoy most about being a board member?
• As a board member I enjoy being able to network and make new friends with people across the East Texas area as we work together to try and keep up with the transportation needs of a growing community.
What is one of your favorite hobbies?
• My favorite hobby is collecting anything from artifacts to old general store displays and signs to wooden fishing lures and duck decoys. My wife Tracy recently reclassified me from collector to hoarder…..My response, at least it’s organized hoarding!