Chair of the Long Range Planning Committee
Term Expires: 2/1/18
John Cloutier is the founder of Blazer Electric & Satellite Company. Prior to starting his own company, Mr. Cloutier was Vice President and Manager of Lays Electric.
Mr. Cloutier served in the U. S. Navy from 1987–1993 aboard the USS Nimitz and USS Shiloh. While with the Navy, he attended the Forces Afloat Education Program, where he became an expert in Electricity and Electronics, Auxiliary Support Mechanics, Naval Surface Warfare, and Management and Training.
After moving to Henderson, TX in 1996, Mr. Cloutier became an active participant in Rusk County’s civic activities, including the Rusk County Recreation Association Board of Directors, and Henderson Area Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors. He also served as the Legislative Affairs/Transportation Chair for the Henderson Chamber of Commerce. In August 2006, he was appointed to serve on the board of directors of the North East Texas Regional Mobility Authority for his first term. In July 2014, he was appointed to his second term with the NET-RMA.
Through Blazer Electric & Satellite, Mr. Cloutier is a supporter of the Henderson All Sports Booster Club, the Sheriff’s Department Anti-Drug Program, and the Boys and Girls Club. Mr. Cloutier was the Founder and President of the Henderson Wrestling Club from 1997-2000, served as Wrestling Advisor from 2000–2002, and was the Henderson High School Wrestling Coach from 2003-2006.
Mr. Cloutier received the Landon Alford Young Man of the Year Award in 2004.
Mr. Cloutier has two sons, Johnny and Jake.
Board Member Spotlight
What’s your favorite mode of transportation, and why?
• I enjoy driving the highways. Between my job covering most of East Texas and my personal travels, I do about 50,000 miles a year. Nothing like seeing America on a road trip!
Are there any transportation projects that you’re particularly proud of?
• For me, the passing lanes between Rusk County and Smith County are the best reminder of why NETRMA is important to the rural counties. It isn’t always about the big projects. Sometimes the little ones that save you 10 minutes every day are the most valuable.
Is there an upcoming project that you’re especially excited for?
• I am very excited to see Segment 4 of Toll 49 open. I believe it will help Lindale and Northern East Texas access Tyler and points south so much better, and the long term growth of the region. It seems to me to be the end of the beginning!
What do you enjoy most about being a board member?
• The most rewarding part of being a board member is the feeling you get when you know you have been part of making an impact. I have maintained a belief that the RMA structure is the best transportation tool for the rural counties, and puts the responsibility for planning and cooperating on us, not the invisible powers in Austin.
What is one of your favorite hobbies?
• It is pretty well known that disc golf is my life outside of the real world. I enjoy the mechanics of mental golf, along with the thrills of competing all over America, and internationally. Innova-Champion Discs, Upper Park Designs and those that support my schedules and goals are truly the heroes for allowing me the opportunity! If you haven’t tried it, you should!